Sunday, June 21, 2015

Trash by Andy Mulligan




                                                              Trash by Andy Mulligan

       
     I came across this book through SSI summer school. I am teaching summer school for 6 days and this was the read aloud included in the material. Now just looking at this book, I don't think....no wait I know I would of never picked up this book. However, thankfully I started reading this out loud to the students.

     Andy Mulligan does a great job of hooking a reader into this book. As a reader I was wanting to know what was going on and what these characters were going to do. As you read the story there are some lulls but then you are wanting to know what is going on.

    The story is about three teenagers who come across a wallet full of money. Gardo, Raphael, and Rat try to figure out how the money of wallet came to the dump.  However, the wallet is not the only thing causing a stir. It seems the police are wanting something out of the trash dump. The police offer a reward for a bag. Unfortunately Gardo is leary of the police and does not fess up to finding anything in the dump except a shoe. This gets him in trouble. He takes a beaten at the police station and leaves. Gardo and Raphael enlist the help of Rat. They go on their own journey of trying to find out what is so important about this bag the police are looking for. During their trip they encounter many people some who will be helpful and others who will be out for their own reward.

   I would definitely recommend this story to others. I didn't think I would like it, but really loved the story. The boys have a heart and learn why this bag is so important. I can say at times the book can be lulling but you don't put it down because you want to know what the heck is about to happen.  Great suspense and action. A definite boy book.

  Just a FYI, there is some profanity in the book. However, it is very limited. I can count the words probably all on one hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment