Tuesday, June 23, 2015

El Deafo by Cece Bell





 El Deafo
By:Cece Bell

               Another graphic novel review, El Deafo by Cece Bell. El Deafo is a Newberry Honor Book.  I am not a big fan of graphic novels, but am learning to enjoy them more and more. I am also understanding how pictures would be beneficial for struggling readers. I think a great aid for ESL students.

             El Deafo is a novel that reminded me of my childhood. The author Cece Bell who is also the main character mentions things like: Little House on the Prarie, John Boy from The Waltons, Hostess Cherry Pies, etc. Cece is a girl who loses her hearing from sickness. She tries to transition to the hearing world and creates El Deafo aka her Superperson. She journals her adventures of trying to fit in a world of hearing and dealing with looking odd with wires going to her ear due to her Phonic Ear amplifier.

            The story deals with many things that kids can relate to. For example looking different than others is something Cece tries to figure out. Another is moving to a new neighborhood and school. Many kids go through this and this could possibly hook students to read this. The graphics are good, and Cece does a great job of telling her story.

            I would definitely recommend this to other students and teachers. My only fear is that it is lengthy. El Deafo might be a book you build up to a class and show the book trailer that I have added to the blog. Enjoy and let me know what you think.














No comments:

Post a Comment