Thursday, July 9, 2015

Destined to Live: A True Story of a Child in the Holocaust by Ruth Gruener


Destined to Live: A True Story of a Child in the  Holocaust
By Ruth Gruener


             The author Ruth Gruener does a wonderful job of recounting her time in Poland during World War II. Her given name is Aurelia Gamzer and she is a proud Jewish girl. Before the German's occupied Poland Aurelia who would be called Luncia. Her parents were hard workers in their candy shop. However, the occupation changed everything for the family. The moved out of their spacious beautiful home to the ghetto as they called it. She would live on very little and have to deal with living in hiding. She eventually will get to America but will realize what she went through was not as bad as her other friends who were Jewish too.

        I usually don't read books about the Holocaust or the Nazi invasion. It is history, but to read about so many people dying because they were not what Hitler saw fit as a human being makes me sad. I hate to read about children being hurt, tortured or killed. I decided to break down and read this book. To tell you the truth I am so glad I did. It was a true account of a young girls life. I was so interested to see what she went through and her thoughts. I am not sure how she did it, but she overcame all this to survive. Loved this book.

     As for students reading this........ I think this is a must for those who enjoy reading about WWII and the Holocaust. The story has a happy ending and everyone loves to have a happy ending. The language in the  book is very understandable. There are a few words that are either German or Polish to describe a few things, but the context clues help you understand what is being said. I would definitely recommend this book. It is a short read and quick too. I would love hear comments about this story from others. A must read for any teacher and student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment